|Powers||All powers of nature|
|First Appearance||A Hero for Earth|
Ricky Berwick (Un-aired)
Captain Planet is the eponymous character of the TV show Captain Planet and the Planeteers.
He is created by the five elements of the Magic Rings Gaia had invented. The elements that are used to create him are Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Heart.
Captain Planet has a long grass-green mullet and earthy brown eyes. His skin is crystal blue, and he wears a wide red collar that covers most of his chest, nape, and shoulders and has a yellow globe sign on it, red gloves, red trunks that have a black belt with a gold buckle on the front, and red boots. But in his very first appearance, his boots were missing for the first two episodes. In the episode 'Future Shock', a futuristic version of Captain Planet appears, sporting the same colour of skin and hair, but his uniform is blue with red accents, and he speaks in a semi-deeper voice.
Captain Planet has a strong sense of humour and frequently makes puns and comes while taunting the villains. He only really refrains from joking if he's dealing with a serious situation that requires an equally serious demeanour, most notably the episode Mind Pollution that dealt with drug addiction. He is also highly altruistic and is quick to rescue anyone in trouble, including his eco-villain enemies--on numerous occasions, he has saved various eco-villains from dangerous situations, and he almost never harms them even when provoked. The major exception was Captain Pollution, who left Planet with little choice but to fight him to the death on both occasions they met.
Much like Gaia, Captain Planet serves as a mentor to the team. Despite his own enormous power, he repeatedly reminds the Planeteers that their true power comes from within and they have the potential to succeed even without their rings. In Greenhouse Planet, when he was temporarily stripped of all his powers except Earth and Heart (due to Kwame and Ma-Ti being in outer space and their powers bouncing back to him), he practiced what he preached and managed to rescue Wheeler, Linka and Gi through conventional means rather than using his normal power. In addition, he stresses that the ultimate responsibility of saving the planet rests with the people of Earth, rather than with him.
Powers and Abilities
Captain Planet's abilities are never clearly defined within the show, allowing him to always have a way of defeating his enemy and solving the problem before him.
- Transmutation - He can alter the form of any matter into whatever he wants.
- Elemental manipulation - he can control the following elements:
- Earth Manipulation: he can control all types of soils, stones or crystals or become composed of them.
- Fire Manipulation: he can control flames or become composed of it. He can survive to lava.
- Ice Manipulation : he can control and create ice or become composed of it
- Water Manipulation: he can control and create water or become composed of it.
- Air Manipulation: he can generate winds or become composed of it.
- Flight - he is always flying while stopping big pollution issues. It is established that Linka's Wind-power gives Captain Planet the ability to fly.
- Plant Manipulation: he can control and (literally) grow plants or become composed of it.
- Energy Blast : He can shoot energy blasts of unknown nature from his hands.
- Super Strength: he can break out of machines and bend metal. He was once strong enough to lift Zarm's starship and hurl it out of Earth's escape velocity.
- Super Breath: he can blow big gusts of wind from his mouth.
- Self-Sustenance: he doesn't need to breath, and probably doesn't need food and water.
- Enviromental Awareness: He seems to have a sense that detects environmental imbalance in the vicinity.
- Ecology: Captain Planet have shown a great knowledge of ecology and how human actions can impact environment.
- Aviation: Captain Planet can pilot the Geo-cruiser.
- It is possible that his transmutation power must be directed by scientific knowledge in order to create the adequate parts of a gadget; if true, he also have engineering skills.
Weaknesses and Limitations
- Vulnerability to Pollution: Captain Planet is weakened when he is in contact with pollution, including but not limited to toxic waste, radiation, or smog. The eco-villains frequently take advantage of this and attempt to neutralize Captain Planet with various pollutants, occasionally succeeding and forcing the Planeteers to try and rescue him. Notably, Duke Nukem (who can absorb and emit radiation) is particularly dangerous to Planet, who typically has to engage him with caution.
- Vulnerability to extreme evil thoughts: It should also be noted that Planet's power of empathy (although a strength) can be a weakness. In an episode where he time travelled to World War II, he got weakened just by looking at Adolf Hitler as he felt his vast prejudice and hate as they are "as toxic as any other pollutant" since they poison the mind, heart and soul.
- Earth Link: Like Gaia, he is bound to the physical realm of Earth. Although he is capable of flying into orbit, he can’t travel away from the planet. Thus, in the aforementioned Greenhouse Planet episode, he was unable to "return to the Earth" completely as Kwame and Ma-Ti were stranded in space along with their rings. In this weakened form, he had only the Earth Manipulation and Empathy powers, and his skin was rock-gray in color.
Captain Planet's origins and history prior to the show are unknown, but he is clearly an ancient entity; Zarm was aware of him in The Conqueror, despite having been exiled from Earth for eons. Gaia hints in one episode that the Planeteer rings may have been used, and Captain Planet summoned, in a previous generation. However, what is known for sure is that at the beginning of the series, Gaia assembles a modern-day group of young people from several nations to serve as ring-bearers of the five magical rings. When the modern-day Planeteers combine their powers to summon the elemental warrior, this incarnation takes on the appearance of a superhero named "Captain Planet".
The Planeteers first meet Captain Planet in the first episode A Hero for Earth when they are brought to Hope Island. They must stop Greedly from polluting the earth. Planet defeats Greedly and tells the Planeteers to call him when they see Greedly again.
Captain Planet rarely has much time to interact with the team on a personal level, as his main function is to save the day and return to the rings. However, as discussed above Captain Planet serves as a mentor to all the Planeteers, and appears to see himself as a father figure to them. He has strong attachments to all the Planeteers and to Gaia and has demonstrated unusual anger when they've been threatened or harmed. In Mind Pollution, when Verminous Skumm succeeded at getting Linka addicted to the drug Bliss, he was especially enraged and noticeably devoid of his trademark sense of humour.
- By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!
- The power is yours!
- On June 27, 2013, Sony Pictures announced that they were producing a live-action movie based on Captain Planet. Little has been heard about this since, so idea probably got discarded.
- On October 9, 2017, On October 9, 2017, the Captain and Kwame appeared in a crossover episode with OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes. Coburn and LeVar Burton reprise their roles as the Captain and Kwame respectively.
- When Captain Planet is summoned, the Planeteer's rings are of no use until Captain Planet returns to earth by returning the power.
- Captain Planet also likes to make good appearances when he is summoned such as forming from the powers while in the sky, or when the powers zoom down from the sky into the ground Captain Planet will rise emerging from the ground or emerging from the ground underwater.
- The Planeteers have summoned Captain Planet by aiming their rings to the sky, at the water or at a vertical distance.
- It is impossible to summon Captain Planet if there is too much pollution in the air.
- He has been held captive by the Conqueror Zarm before without being summoned. It's unexplained how Captain Planet was captured when he wasn't summoned yet by the 5 rings.
- When the TV series was beginning production, actor Tom Cruise was set for the voice role but dropped out before he recorded, so the role was passed onto David Coburn.
Add images here.